Thursday, July 24, 2008

Day 25 - July 24 - From Pacific to Atlantic and back to the Pacific




Said adios to Bill & Donna, and Dave & Shirley, and headed off from Osoyoos for the last 400 kms of the Odyssey (for me; for Jim that happened 2 days ago; for Bob and George it will be 2 days hence).

A very familiar drive, unlike most of what we have done: Hedley, Princeton, Hope, highway 1 into Vancouver...

I reached English Bay. The GPS says we have travelled 14, 837.5 kilometres - 15,000 kms, it seems fair to say.

I got off the bike - looking across at the fireworks barge that is seen in one of the photos - and walked down to the water and stuck my hand in.

So... for me, it's done.

A once in a lifetime experience. Endlessly interesting; endlessly inspirational; for me at least, endlessly challenging.

I am more grateful than I can say for having had the opportunity to do this, and for the successful outcome.

I am grateful for the wonderful company, the comradeship, with the Knights of the Open Road. They are distinguished gentlemen; they have been and are good friends.
I am grateful for those who were so generous to us along the way: Sue & Jack McCartney; Keith & Kathy; Bill & Donna; too many strangers to count - so many wonderful folk across Canada and across the U.S.

I am grateful to all who have read parts of this blog, and offered such positive feedback. The blog had a selfish objective of creating a record of the trip, but if it has offered some interest to others, that is great.
Finally, and above all, I am grateful to Jo-Ann, and to Colin, David, Patrick, and Matthew for their loving support and encouragement in this, as in all things.
Oh, and Flat Stanley says he had a great time, too.
The next adventure?.....

No comments: