Thursday, July 10, 2008

Day 10 - July 9 - the land of red soil






Funny day for me to blog, as I decided I would appreciate some rest, and a plan to spend the morning cruising around within PEI would accommodate that.
So the other three guys took off, with arrangements for us to meet on the east coast at Georgetown for lunch.

Well, I just I just have to take them at their word that they "booked"576 kms in the morning (?!?)... whatever the distance, they arrived at lunch raving about the roads from a motorcycling perspective - so much up and down swooping, swerving skiing-like roadways.

What I can attest to from our first afternoon on PEI, and then yesterday afternoon after lunch, is that it is a lush, beautiful place; vast expanses it seems (albeit within a small overall land mass) of cultivated fields - much of it with exquisitely furrowed red soil rows for potatoes; surprisingly well-maintained homes (for an area that you know has had an overall challenging time economically).

We had lunch had a neat former railway station (on this island which today has no railway). Great - and I mean great - haddock and chips.

Took the ferry to Nova Scotia after wiating out one cancelled sailing, but good visiting with other bikers - 2 guys who road from Edmonton leaving June 29, and a couple who trucked their bikes to Ottawa from Edmonton, and started riding there. Had to tie our bikes down on the ferry - no one had seen that before.

Rode to Antigonish Nova Scotia - the "Scottish highlands of Nova Scotia"), and stumbled ona great little bistro at which I had a risotto-based paella with the Digby scallops big enough to use for hockey pucks.

Day 11 is finally off to the Cabot Trail, which some books we've seen say may be the single best motorcycle roadway in Canada. But by any measure to should be beautiful.

We'll go from the Cabot Trail to Sidney to get the ferry to Port-Aux-Basques Newfoundland (13 hours, overnight).

1 comment:

Dode said...

Hi Hugh
Guess I forgot my password...signed up again... We are in Colorado visiting Heather. Jack and I walked the streets looking for internet connection. We landed at the Chamber of Commerce and the girl at the counter - bless her heart - let me use her computer. So, I caught up on you and the guys but my comment did not go through. Now we are in another town at a library and I am trying again!
Sounds like your time is amazing. So incredible to experience one's wide and beautiful country in one big joyful gulp. We love you so much and think of you all the time . Love and hugs, Dode